Skip to main content

Jakarta bomb witness: 'I heard an enormous explosion'




New Zealander Matthew Webster tells nzherald.co.nz his experience at the Marriott hotel in Jakarta. At least six people died in the explosions

I was in the JW Marriott in Jakarta. Around 7.45am (12.45pm NZT) local time while packing my bag on my 10th floor room I heard an enormous explosion from below me and what seemed to be adjacent to the JW Marriott.

There was one shock wave that hit the hotel room and to a lesser extent, me. I called my family to say I was OK.

I was planning to meet my Finnish colleague (I work for Nokia Siemens Networks) in the Lobby for breakfast at 7.50am. However I was delayed slightly as I was packing my bag as I was flying out tonight to Singapore and onwards to Auckland.

When I caught the lift downstairs with 16 other people I saw extensive damage in the lobby. Glass was everywhere and there was blue smoke coming from the left hand side of the lobby and also externally from the hotel debris and glass was still falling from the ceiling and walls around 10 minutes after the explosion.







I was not able to check out and at this point I realised that the explosion had been inside the JW Marriott.

I realised at this point I was minutes from being in the immediate site of explosion.

I saw one man lying motionless on the street and I was not able to tell if he was dead or not.

He had no blood and was carried into a police car and driven away. The JW Marriott is about 30 metres back from the street and cars are unable to drive up the walkway to the hotel, so clearly it was not a car that originated the explosion.

The Indonesian Government has said that it is a terrorist attack so I can assume the explosion was a bomb.

There has been a similar explosion in the Ritz Carlton in a matter of minutes after the JW Marriott explosion.

The Ritz Carlton is roughly diagonally opposite the JW Marriott. I was not an eyewitness there, but did have a Thailand and Australian-based colleague who have both been accounted for as safe.

My local Indonesian colleagues are saying this happened because Manchester United are due to play a game against an all star Indonesian side in Jakarta tomorrow (Saturday) night.

There is speculation on how these bombs got in as every hotel has metal detectors, and security staff who search you and your bags every time you enter the hotel.

- nzherald.co.nz





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Qory Sandioriva: The new Putri Indonesia

The Jakarta Post , Jakarta | Fri, 10/16/2009 10:42 AM | People Courtesy of Waspada Online The criticism she has received for “misrepresenting” her home province of Aceh has failed to discourage newly crowned Putri Indonesia 2009 Qory Sandioriva. Qory, the first woman representing the strongly Islamic region of Aceh to win the title, made no apology for publicly rejecting the jilbab or Muslim headscarf during the pageant’s final night in Jakarta, playing it down as a “misunderstanding”. “Perhaps it was a mistake to make such a statement, but honestly I have never worn a jilbab all my life,” the 18-year-old French literature student from the University of Indonesia told Waspada Online during a visit to Medan, North Sumatra, a few days after her win. Her responses to the judges’ questions have upset many people, particularly religious leaders in her home province. In the contest’s final stage, she was asked why she was not wearing a headscarf like previous contestan

Massive Pendet

   Massive Pendet: Around 1,650 dancers of Balinese Pendet from kindergartens to senior high schools perform during an opening ceremony of the 23rd National Science Week for University Students at Ngurah Rai stadium in Denpasar on Wednesday. About 113 universities nationwide take part in the event, which will last until Saturday. The massive Pendet dancing managed to break a national record (MURI). JP/Stanny Angga

Royal garb

Kim Kardashian reacts to photographers at the Noon by Noor launch event in West Hollywood, Calif., Wednesday night. Noon by Noor is a fashion collection designed by Kingdom of Bahrain royalty Noor Rashid Al Khalifa and Haya Mohammed Al Khalifa. (AP/Chris Pizzello)       The Jakarta Post | Thu, 07/21/2011 3:04 PM